Shakespeare's Theater: A Sourcebook
Author: Tanya Pollard (Editor)
File size: 1.7 Mb
File type: PDF
Shakespeare’s Theater: A Sourcebook brings together in one volume the most significant Elizabethan and Jacobean texts on the morality of the theater.
* A collection of the most significant Elizabethan and Jacobean texts on the morality of the theater.
* Includes attacks on the stage by moralists, defences by actors and playwrights, letters by magistrates, mayors and aldermen of London, and extracts from legislation.
* Demonstrates just how heated debates about the theater became in the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries.
* A general introduction and short prefaces to each piece situate the writers and debates in the literary, social, political and religious history of the time.
* Brings together in one volume texts that would otherwise be hard to locate.
* Student-friendly - uses modern spelling and includes vocabulary glosses and annotation.